Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Fado Fun & Food


Had a great dinner at Fado in Chicago tonight. Sure, yes, I know it's a chain, but they do a great job, not only at the food, but also creating the atmosphere of a warm neighborhood pub. A lot of it might have had to do with the good nature of Chicagoans and their genuine friendliness.

Being a pub, I had to get myself a pint and was pleasantly surprised to see that no matter what beer was ordered, it was served in the 'official' glass appropriate to that brew. For dinner I had traditional fish and chips. These were WELL worth noting. For starters, they carry a condiment little known in much of the states called 'Chef's Sauce' that is sort of like a thick version of malt vinegar. But the beautiful pieces of cod were the stars of the show; light and meaty, but most notably tender and not a bit greasy. It was like two pieces of battered heaven.

My only regret is that the restaurant had a pleasant, but bustling in flux of people just as the meal was nearing the end and I thought it best to pass on the dessert I was dreaming of: harvest bread pudding.

I'm here for a conference and if I make it back there, I won't leave without the bread pudding.

Best bites,
James

No comments: